I hope you're all doing well and having a great week. I'm in a different city for a few days and for the first time in a while I've had more time to do the things I love and enjoy. One of those things is exercising.
I know how hard it can be to wake up or even get motivated during the day to go to the gym but there are some things which can make this a little bit easier.
One of those things is having a gym buddy. Here are the top 5 reasons why you should get one if you find it difficult to get motivated to work out.
1. The gym can be a very intimidating space especially if it's a commercial gym and you're not used to the type of equipment in there. When you're with someone else, it makes it a lot easier to be adventurous and try out new exercises including partner workouts. You'll also have someone to laugh and chat with when you're taking a water break or if you make a mistake.
2. Motivation - this one is really important because it goes beyond being motivated to get in the gym. A lot of people get cocky if they've been going to the gym for awhile and they also get stuck in their way/in a gym rut. Having a workout buddy in this case is great because they will push you to do better/more especially with exercises you're not so confident about.
3. One of the good things about having a gym buddy, is that it increases your commitment level. So for me, I can easily get lazy about going to the gym, especially when I'm sore from my previous workout. But I've found that when someone else is meeting me there, it's a lot harder for me to cancel. It's funny because a lot of times my buddy and I would have been thinking about cancelling but none of us want to be the first to say it. So we'll end up going and having a great workout. It's really a win-win situation.
4. Looking in the mirror to check your form can only help so much. Another perk of having a workout buddy is that you'll always have someone to check your form. This can prevent you from getting injured for example when you're planking and sagging or if you're leaning forward too much while squatting. Of course it helps if you're buddy knows what good form looks like to start with :p
5. Last but not least, you'll reach your fitness goals faster if you have a work out buddy than if you don't. The more they motivate you, the stronger your commitment is, and the more consistent you'll be. When working out and with most things in life, consistency is key. If, you have a solid plan on how to be consistent when working towards yours fitness goals, half of the work is done!
That's its guys. If you don't already have one, find yourself a gym buddy.
Some pictures with my favorite buddy here :)
PS.. as you can see from above, I'm still working towards my summer bod:)
- the only workout you'll regret is the one that didn't happen-
7A Taiye Olowu Street, Lekki Phase 1
off Admiralty, off Victoria Arabieke